Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Painting with chalk paint...Simply & Gorgeous

I have always wanted to try out chalk paint so I finally got some Valspar Chalk paint. $30 for a quart of paint! YIKES!! Plus add the wax was about $17 bucks! Either way I always wanted to paint my boy's oak dresser. At Lowe's I  made the boy's pick the color out. It's called Sapphire bracelet Valspar Chalk Paint. It looked dark blue on the picture sample.

Now here is what I plan to paint. This plain ugly oak dresser..

 First, I wiped down with soapy water. Took all the hardware off.  What's great about chalk paint is that you don't have to sand or prime the dresser. Just go ahead and start painting. Once I started painting I noticed the color does not look like dark blue it's more like green/blue or teal color.
Picture below is with 2 coat of paint. Still you can see streaks.

 I ended up doing 3 coats. I left it overnight to dry. Next day I applied the wax with a paint brush then wiped it off after 1 minute with a clean rug. I waxed it twice. Last, I bought some cute pull hardware knobs.
                                                             
                                                                New pull hardware
                                                Mod podge  wrapping paper inside drawers
                                                           Simply Gorgeous

                                                          Love the way it came out!

I have been asked how do I like using chalk paint. Honestly, I like it but not crazy in love with it. A few reasons why.  The high cost of the paint and I really didn't like the way the wax on it. Also, there are not many colors to chose from. I have about 1/3 paint left. Would I do it again? Most likely  I would use chalk paint again but will use it for smaller furniture. I would like to try another brand name too!  Overall I am happy that I finally got myself to try it out. It came out nice not the color it shows on picture but boy's are happy with it. Now I would like to see how long and well this will hold up without chipping.

If you used chalk paint what are your thoughts about it? Would love to her from others..

Thanks for stopping by
Maria

2 comments: