Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Homemade vanilla extract ...

   This delightful homemade vanilla extract is so easy to make! I've been wanting to make my own for such a long time. I had the liquor on hand but had to wait until I got out to an international store to buy Vanilla beans in bulk since Publix & other grocery stores only have 1 per dry bean for $6.00 dollars (CRAZY RIGHT?).  Last night I made a ran to the international store and got a pack of vanilla beans there for $18.00 dollars. So, today I made it. I needed 2 mason jars, vodka, rum & my vanilla beans. I decided to try both rum & vodka to see which I like best.

    First use a sharp knife, slice the beans open lengthwise to expose the seeds. Put the beans in the jar and fill it with your choice of liquor. Close the jar, shake it a few times and store it in a cool dark cabinet. About, every once a week give it a good shake. Give your vanilla extract a good 2 months or longer.

   Here is the recipe I did

1 cup liquor (your choice Rum, Vodka, Whisky)
3 vanilla beans

     I placed my kids stickers on my jars. R=rum V=vodka... :)


   Now will wait 8 weeks and get back to you and let you know which one was my best!


Happy Wednesday


Marianthi

No comments:

Post a Comment